Friday, 11 January 2008

Sir Edmund Hillary, 1919-2008

In some ways I believe I epitomise the average New Zealander: I have modest abilities, I combine these with a good deal of determination, and I rather like to succeed. -- Sir Edmund Hillary

These very self-effacing and unassuming words embody Sir Edmund Hillary who died today, aged 88. A New Zealand icon, he shot to fame in 1953 with his and climbing partner Tenzing Norgay's ascent of Everest.

Wellington City Libraries has collected a page of resources on Sir Edmund Hillary. These include a link to The Times' 1953 article, Everest Conquered : Hillary And Tensing Reach The Summit, written after the news of his and Sherpa Tenzing Norgay's successful climb spread around the world (to access the article you'll need to log in with your library card number and surname). You'll also find many books and website links about this 20th century New Zealand legend on our Kids' Catalogue.

No comments: